July 12, 2021
Vacation Bible School July 17-18 -- Kids from Kindergarten to 5th Grade are invited to join us in learning about the "Power of Prayer" at our VBS program. Older kids can sign up to volunteer. We will have music, games, bible stories, arts & crafts, and lots of fun! We suggest a $15 donation to help cover the cost of food. To reserve your spot please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Congregational Dinner after Church on July 18! The Men's Club will host a hamburger/hot dog dinner after worship on Sunday, July 18, in the Parish Hall. A recommended donation of $7 is suggested. All profits will go to the youth in preparation for their trip to the ELCA National Youth Gathering in the summer of 2022. Sign up to help the men know how much food to prepare.
Sealing of the Stone Later this week the work of sealing the stone on the main sanctuary building will begin! This is a critical step in the process of stopping water from penetrating into the building. The sealing of the stone should happen every 8 to 10 years -- so we should plan to clean and seal the stone again in 2029/30. Sidewalks near the building will be closed for this work to take place.
The Mission Team is collecting teacher supplies during the month of July. Make sure to check out the Monthly Newsletter for ideas on what to donate. Teachers end up buying a lot of supplies out of their own pocket and donations will go a long way in helping them out in the fall.
Helping Hands Ministry Within - The Mission Team had just began the work of our in-church ministry designed to help us to help each other when COVID decided to interrupt our plan. Here is preview of what this new mission is all about and why you should be excited:
- Who? We are a group of members from First Lutheran who want to help other members of our congregation.
- What? We are a ministry designed to assist members with household tasks or small repairs that they cannot complete on their own. Some examples include: small item removal, fixing sticking doors, changing light bulbs, moving items from house to garage or attic, trimming hedges as well as many other small household chores. The team cannot complete repairs on an emergency basis, resolve major problems, or undertake jobs that would be dangerous or present a liability issue.
- When? Our goal is to have Helping Hands Ministry Within operational in the Summer of 2021. As with any new endeavor we expect to encounter roadblocks along the way so we are asking for your patience!
- Where? We will be available to help you at your residence.
- Why? Everyone needs a Helping Hand at one time or another!
- How? Complete the Helping Hands form, available in the narthex, with name, contact information, and type of assistance needed. Place the form in the Helping Hands box and a member will contact you.
For more information please contact James Gainer at 409-771-0712or email him at email@example.com. Leave a message and Jim will respond as soon as he is able.
The Mission Team is excited to add to our “Helping Hands Within” program that if you need transportation to the doctor, need an errand run or whatever we can help with transportation wise, please call Kay Henson Tucker @ 409-370-1318. If Kay is not available, she will contact someone else that hopefully can help. If you are interested in this program and would like to help, please let Kay know. Thanks for your ministry in Helping Hands Within.
Memory Loss Happens – What about when it is beyond normal memory loss? The Alzheimer Association is offering online webinars to help better understand dementia so as to empower the care givers and family members. Click this link for more information. CareGivers. More questions? Contact Corinne Rhoades at Libbie’s Place Adult Day Center (409) 741-2538.
Worship Virtually – Sundays 10:00 am
Worship Safely In Person – Sundays 10:00 am
You are encouraged to join in worship either safely in person or virtually every Sunday.
As stewards of the wellbeing of our community, the Church Council updated the pandemic protocols at the June Church Council meeting. You are encouraged to wear a mask as you enter and exit the building where close contact between vaccinated and non-vaccinated individuals is possible. In the Sanctuary masks are strongly encouraged for those wo are not fully vaccinated. We will continue to utilize social distancing in the sanctuary. We will also continue to make masks and hand sanitizers available at the entrances of the building. Please be mindful of the most vulnerable in our midst, as children under the age of 12 are not eligible for the vaccine at this time.
HOME Holy Communion Package: If you need home communion supplies as you worship virtually, please contact the Church Office as 409-762-8477 to arrange for your package of wafers.
- In-person: 77
- Virtually Online (Includes Facebook, YouTube, and Website views):
Children's Message: 159 views
Sermon: 134 views
Worship Service: 131 views
This Week’s Birthdays
- Stella Ryan 12th
- Lissa Evans 13th
- Shawn Walker 13th
- Christopher Crutchfield 14th
- Joe Byers 15th
- Jack Danner 16th
- Hank Eilers 16th
- Noah Rice 16th
- Mark Murphy 17th
- Carols and Diane Peña 15th
- Jim and Kathy Gainer 16th